Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 13 AEDM


Yesterday I went and splurged on a new set of crayons: Derwent Coloursoft pencils. I'd seen awesome examples of colored-in stamped images, using these pencils together with mineral spirits and a blending tool. Even though I am crayon-challenged, I just really wanted to try myself!

So this evening I sat down with my new crayons, a small bottle of no-odor mineral spirits and a set of doezelaars. I stamped this cute kittycat on cardstock, using the black Staz-on ink I was told to use (other inks get messed up by the mineral spirits) and got to work. I really do need some more practice but I must say I was somewhat happily surprised with my first attempt.

9 comments:

Jul said...

Oh fun! Art supplies are the best. Looks like you're getting used to your new pencils pretty quickly!

Marie Young (Marie Young Creative) said...

Those pencils work great! I just bought some watercolor pencils, but these seem much smoother.

Sophie_vf said...

I'd never heard of using mineral spirits with pencils! I assume to help with blending? Regardless - you got a wonderful result.

craftyvox said...

@Jul I am really crayon-challenged /laughs and wouldn't be able to make a proper drawing even if my life depended on it lol. So I resort to stamps and coloring /giggles -- but must admit I quite like the results so far! :)

craftyvox said...

@Marie I've tried watercolor pencils but couldn't quite get the hang of it. Also, to me it seems I need to be a lot more precise and careful with watercolor pencils then with these - though that could just be my imagination heh. And yes the colors are really nice and smooth, which is what I too like so much about this technique!

craftyvox said...

@Sophie The mineral spirits indeed help blend the colors together. I really like the result after blending, you get a really nice and smooth feel to it. :)

Annie said...

Hi,
Thanks for dropping in on my blog. I have used a plain fabric to back my toppers with and wadding in between to pad it slightly. They are all embellished with machine embroidery too :-)
A x

Unknown said...

Those pencils look fun! and your kitty turned out really cute:)

trisha too said...

Very cute!!
:)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note, I always enjoy reading them!! *** Bedankt voor je reactie, ik lees ze altijd met veel plezier!!